Tourism New Zealand is committed to improving its environmental performance across our areas of operations. This is both good for business and the communities we work in. We want to use our resources well and to minimise waste because not only is it the responsible thing to do, it enables us to manage our costs effectively and save money. In this on-going journey we've introduced a number of initiatives across our offices and signed up to Qualmark to help us track our performance.
Tourism New Zealand joined Qualmark in 2009 and implemented a Sustainability Action Plan in 2009/10. We achieved Bronze status within the Qualmark environmental accreditation programme during 2008/09.
In 2009/10 we received recognition of our improved sustainability by being awarded Silver status.
We've also introduced a number of initiatives across our offices. These include:
- Video conferencing facilities help reduce travel between our Auckland and Wellington offices, and help us meet face-to-face with our staff based all over the world without the need for international travel
- We've installed motion sensors for lights
- Waste sorting and composting of organic waste is encouraged
- We've developed a system that enables us to track staff travel and air miles, and makes it possible for staff to see who else is travelling so they can share taxis/shuttles
- We've cut back our printed publications in favour of electronic communications, and those we do print are ideally printed on recycled paper using vegetable-based inks