Brazil and Argentina are markets with good growth potential. There are 13.7 million people actively considering visiting New Zealand in Brazil and 2.8 million in Argentina. Since the direct route from Buenos Aires started in late 2015 arrivals from Brazil and Argentina have grown 73% since December 2015 with over 32,200 visiting New Zealand in the year ending May 2017.
The Brazil market has experienced strong economic growth in the past decade resulting in a growing middle class wishing to travel overseas for leisure and education.
Recent research in Brazil and Argentina has shown that preference for New Zealand remains strong with New Zealand emerging as an attractive destination choice.
We opened an office in São Paulo in December 2013 to service the Latin America region. The office has four staff. In 2016 we also welcomed one staff member who is based in Argentina at the Air New Zealand office.
We organise and participate in a number of offshore training and networking events with travel sellers each year which New Zealand regions and operators can take part in. Take a look at our event calendar for more information.
- The Brazilian and Argentinian market are keen to travel to countries where they can visit beaches and urban areas and experience arts, culture, adventure activities and good wine and food.
- Travellers from Brazil and Argentina tend to stay in the country longer.
- The Brazilian and Argentinian market have a preference for dual country visitors likely to visit Australia and New Zealand.
Marketing and trade activity
Our trade activity in Brazil and Argentina includes trade training with travel sellers, famils in partnership with Air New Zealand, roadshows in partnership with outbound operators, and trade shows and industry events such as Kiwi Link Argentina, Brazil and Chile.
In April 2017 the first of eight episodes dedicated to New Zealand of Brazilian travel TV show Lugar Incomum aired. Each episode has an average number of 300k viewers (plus 150k for on demand platforms). Read more about the show here.
16.5m people across Brazil and Argentina are actively considering a holiday to NZ.
- LATAM Airlines flies direct between New Zealand and Santiago, offering excellent connectivity into Brazil. This service has been upgraded to a new B787 aircraft.
- LATAM Airlines also launched a service from Santiago de Chile to Melbourne that commenced in October 2016.
- Qantas fly directly to Sydney from Santiago, an important link given the high level of dual destination travel from Brazil and Argentina.
- The introduction of the Air New Zealand service from Buenos Aires in late 2015 provided significant additional capacity and competitive alternatives for the Brazilian and Argentinian markets. Buenos Aires – Auckland offers three weekly services.
Exchange rates: www.xe.com
GDP growth: www.economist.com
For more information on the Brazilian economy view the New Zealand Trade and Enterprise’s Brazil market guide.