Welcome to 2016. This summer is shaping up to be our biggest yet. We figure that everyone’s too busy to be doing much reading so we’ve put together some quick New Year’s reminders, resolutions and tips on how to get the best out of your business this year and how we can help.
- Millions of reasons to go online – and it’s free. Travellers are increasingly booking holidays online. If they don’t see you, they’ll go elsewhere. There were over 24 million visits to newzealand.com during the last financial year, generating 2.1 million referrals to the tourism industry – are you getting your fair share? Take some time to make sure your listing is up to date, about who you are, where you are and what you offer.
- Get social media savvy. Love it or hate it, we know that people go where others post. In 2015 millions of people engaged with our Facebook page and over 160,000 images tagged with #NZMustDo on Instagram. Make 2016 the year you cut it as a social media star and ensure that you tag Tourism New Zealand’s accounts in your posts (@purenewzealand #NZMustDo).
- Save the date. Chinese New Year – from February 7 – is likely to be the biggest week for Chinese tourists in our history. Our China Toolkit helps you provide the best possible experience for visitors and this China insights webinar gives you the lowdown on everything you need to know about what Chinese tourists are looking for, from what to serve for breakfast to evening entertainment.
- Tell us your story. We have a team in Auckland that provides great content to encourage media to come to New Zealand, then go back and talk about it. Keeping the Auckland-based PR team up to date with what you are offering is a good way of ensuring your stories are being told. Send any media releases and new product information to firstname.lastname@example.org . Also, our trade team distributes product updates, features and newsletters to the international travel trade each month. If you would like us to include something on your product, contact Faith Dennis.
- Know your customers. Ever wondered what travellers say about New Zealand when they leave. That’s just one of the many things you can learn from our Insights team who have made research easy with fabulous infographics in picture form showing the demographics and behaviour of international travellers to New Zealand. It’s a great resource. Check it out.
- Put your feet up and do business. Tourism New Zealand’s webinar series is an easy way to stay up to date with what’s going on in Tourism New Zealand – from market updates to the latest visitor insights and research. You can call into these one-hour sessions from right where you are. Keep an eye on the events listings for the next round of webinars.
- Diary it. Keep an eye on Tourism New Zealand’s events calendar to know what’s coming up in your patch or where you need to be to pull in more customers. Our trade events calendar gives an overview of events and famils for each market over the next 18 months. It’s updated at the beginning of each month.
- Spread the word. Do you have colleagues who might be interested in hearing from us? Forward them this link to subscribe to our fortnightly newsletter Tourism News.