International media coverage
Last Updated on: 31 May 2013
- The Scotsman on Sunday tavelled around the
South Island and have written about their Tolkien experiences.
- The Jakarta Globe has taken a journey to Middle-earth thanks to
Tourism New Zealand. Read about there travels here.
- Voyager's World in India publised an article on tracing the
Hobbit Trilogy across New Zealand title New Zealand - Picture Perfect.
- Hello! Magazine visited New Zealand with Tourism New Zealand
and published a story on their Middle-earth experiences.
- Tom Savage of the Daily Star Sunday wrote the following story after his TNZ supported
trip to New Zealand. The publication has a reach of around 500,000
- The UK's Daily Mail (with a reach of around 200,000) has run
several stories recently: Click here to read An Awe Inspiring Journey. There is also a
story on the newly released special feature New Zealand: Home of
Middle-earth, that appears on the DVD and Blu-ray release of
The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey. You can read the
article here and you can view the special feature on
our newzealand.com website.
- The USA's Travel + Leisure magazine (circulation 970,000)
encouraged travellers to "Journey to Middle-earth" and charts the
author's time in Wellington and up Mount Ngauruhoe. The
on-line version of the article can be read here.
- Indiainfoline, a website that receives more than two million
hits per month, picked up on a Tourism New Zealand story on
- The Lonely Planet used its exclusive interview with Andy Serkis
to create a series of short videos and build a "Middle-earth"
micro-site. The website combined content from Lonely Planet, Warner
Bros. Pictures and newzealand.com to create the site. Check it out here.
November 2012 - the world Premiere of The Hobbit: An
- Lisa Young from the UK's Independent travelled around the South
Island and writes of Middle-earthy delights
- Australia's ABC network discusses New Zealand's preparation for a tourism boom
including comment from TNZ Chief Executive Kevin Bowler
- In an article published in the Telegraph, Royd Tolkien, great-grandson of the
writer, explains why New Zealand is one of his favourite places in
- The Guardian's Rebecca Nicholson is 'On the Hobbit trail in New Zealand'.
- Wendy Gomersall from UK's Mail on Sunday came to New Zealand on
a Hobbit Hunt. You can read of her adventures here.
- Earlier in 2012, The New York Times came to Wellington as part
of a Middle-earth tour and took time out to speak with Chief
Executive Kevin Bowler. The resulting story appeared in print on
October 7, read the online version here.
- Business Review Australia profiled film tourism in New Zealand
in their August edition, with Tourism New Zealand images making the
cover. You can read the online version of the article here.
- The Daily Telegraph out of the UK have given Middle-earth a
fantastic write up. Read it here
- New Zealand Prime Minister John Key launched the Japanese
version of the 100% Middle-earth, 100% Pure New Zealand campaign to
media. Here is one of the results from the event
- Check out the etravelblackboard US edition
- Jim Byers' travel blog in Canada's Toronto Star ran a
Middle-earth story in August that you can read here
- International Business Times August 2012 - an interview with
Chief Executive Kevin Bowler on the Hobbit's potential impact on
tourism. Read the article here
- theonering.net - Behind the scenes with Jared Connon,
supervising location manager for The Hobbit. Read more here.
- CNN Go's Adam Bray - Hanging out in Hobbiton: The Hobbit's
stunning movie set. Read the story here.
- Condé Nast Traveler - Navigating the Land of The Lord of the
Rings. Read it here.
- Jayne Clark of USA Today visited New Zealand for the Society of
American Travel Writers' annual conference and visited Hobbiton as
part of that trip. Read the article here.