Getting your Qualmark
The Qualmark programme is based on a series of minimum standards for tourism businesses in New Zealand and is divided into three main areas:
- A star grading system for accommodation and venues
- Qualmark endorsements for operators of activities, transport, visitor services and tours
- Evaluation of environmental performance.
Evaluation standards differ depending on the type of business. The system is regularly reviewed, in consultation with operators and other industry organisations, to ensure it adapts to changing industry standards and customer expectations.
Qualmark accredited businesses are independently evaluated by a Qualmark Tourism Business Advisor. Evaluations take place on location at the business and take around three hours. They look at all aspects of the business, including:
- Customer service
- Standard of facilities
- Overall business operations
- Responsible tourism and environmental practices
- General safety
The evaluation checks that a business has met the necessary legal, insurance, and health and safety requirements.
What are Enviro Awards?
Those businesses wanting to be specifically recognised for their sustainable tourism practices may be further evaluated through the Qualmark Enviro Award.
Businesses are awarded for meeting strict environmental and social standards, with achievement levels of Gold, Silver and Bronze.
All businesses that display a Qualmark star grading or endorsed logo are evaluated on their environmental performance and have met minimum requirements including:
- Having facilities in place for recycling and initiatives to reduce waste, energy or water consumption
- Completing and using an environmental checklist to review the environmental impacts of the business
- The ability to verify all environmental claims
Any Qualmark accredited business that displays a Qualmark Enviro Award logo is considered a high performer in the environmental space and is engaging in activities that include Energy Efficiency, Waste Management, Water Conservation, Environmental Conservation and Community Support.
For more information call Qualmark on 0800 782 562, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Qualmark website for more information, a listing of all Qualmark-accredited operators and information for tourism businesses.