Australia is New Zealand’s largest international visitor market, accounting for almost half of all international visitor arrivals.
Australia’s close proximity and strong relationship with New Zealand continues to drive consideration and arrivals.
Our work in Australia aims to increase consideration and preference of New Zealand as a holiday destination. The overall objective is to increase the value of Australian visitors by attracting more first time holiday visitors, increasing seasonal arrivals, and growing holiday stay days.
This plays into Tourism New Zealand’s long-term plan for all visitors to enrich New Zealand through growth that is productive, sustainable and inclusive.
- New Zealand remains the number one outbound destination for Australian travellers.
- Our key target audience in Australia is independent professionals and dependent professionals (mid-life professionals with families).
- Travel agents remain the most preferred way to book a holiday in Australia, with 49% of Australians booking their New Zealand holiday via traditional methods.
- 71% of Australians opt for self-drive holidays in New Zealand.
- For the year ending June 2018, 57% of Australian visitors to New Zealand were repeat visitors.
- Visitors from Australia return to New Zealand 3-4 times in their lifetime providing a big opportunity to increase regional dispersal and ‘touring’ activity to increase bookings for smaller regions.
- Summer has the highest peak for Australian holiday visitors, but marketing by us and other industry players has helped make New Zealand a popular year-round destination.
- Ski is a key driver for Australian first-time arrivals to New Zealand.
4 The average number of times Australian visitors return to New Zealand for a holiday.
Marketing and trade activity
The aim of our activity in Australia is to educate Australians on what there is to see and do in New Zealand, promote the benefits of visiting in spring and autumn, and ultimately inspire Australians to choose New Zealand as their next holiday destination.
We run a range of targeted campaign activity in Australia, including advertising, marketing and public relations. We also work closely with regional tourism organisations (RTO's), airlines, operators, and travel retailers to promote New Zealand in the Australian market.
Australians are confident researching and booking New Zealand holidays online and our campaign activity reflects this by making the most of digital media channels. However, trade engagement remains an important part of our activity in Australia, where 49% of travel to New Zealand is booked through traditional trade channels. The main training tool we use to up-skill travel sellers on how to sell high-value New Zealand holidays is our 100% Pure New Zealand Specialist Programme.
We also organise and participate in a number of offshore training and networking events with travel sellers each year which New Zealand RTO's and operators can take part in. Take a look at our event calendar for more information.
Trans-Tasman airline activity has increased significantly in the past five years, creating competition amongst airlines which has made travel between Australia and New Zealand more convenient than ever.
Exchange rates: www.xe.com
GDP growth: www.economist.com
For more detailed information on the Australian economy view the New Zealand Trade and Enterprise's Australia market guide.